RST 4 CASEFILE SUMMARY

JUALIN MINE ROAD

LISTED IN ALASKA STATUTE (AS 19.30.400(d)) AS A QUALIFIED RS2477 RIGHT-OF-WAY.
VIEW LAND DESCRIPTION
LEGAL TEXT:
Casefile Summary
RST 4
JUALIN MINE ROAD
This Casefile Summary Contains Additions To the Casefile Summary
Dated 11/23/93, 12/22/94, and 11/9/99.
I. Trail Location
the Jualin Mine Road Is Located in Southeastern Alaska On the
East Coast of Lynn Canal 50 Miles North of Juneau at Berners Bay.
The Road Follows the Original Tram Route To the Jualin Mine.
The Route Is Located in the USGS 1:63,360 Juneau D-3 and D-4
Quadrangles and Is Approximately 5 Miles Long.
Ii. Historic Documentation
the Berners Bay Region of Southeastern Alaska Has An Active
Mining History Dating Back Into the Late Nineteenth Century. the
Jualin Mine Was Staked By Frank Cook in 1895 and Was Organized
And Began Operating in 1896, Thirteen Years Before the Land Was
Reserved for the Tongass National Forest. the Trail That
Accessed the Mine, and Other Claims in the Area, Was Replaced By
A Tramway Which Was Constructed in 1898 and Extended To Berners
Bay in 1905. It Was Used Regularly Throughout the 1920s and
1930s for Purposes of Access, Trade, and Commerce.
USGS and Other Maps
1) United States Geological Survey (USGS) Show the Jualin
Mine Road On 1" = 1 Mile Maps, Juneau D-4 and Juneau D-3.
2) 1923 "Map Showing the Mining Properties of the
Southeastern Alaska Mining Corporation and Adjacent Claims at
Berners Bay, Alaska" Shows the Route's Alignment.
3) A 1910 USGS Bulletin Map "Topographic Map of the
Berners Bay Region, Alaska, Shows the Configuration of the
Tramway Route and the Historic Trail From Berners Bay To the
Jualin and Indiana Mines. This Map Was Based On Survey Data From
1906, When the Route Was Triangulated and Surveyed By the U.S.
Coast and Geodetic Survey. Various Survey Plats Showing the
Claims in the Area With the Route of the Trail/Tramway Passing
Through Are, Included in the Trail File.
Department of Transportation and Public Facilities 1973 Trails
Inventory
1) 1973 Department of Transportation and Public Facilities
(DOT&PF) Trails Inventory On Map 11 (Juneau Quadrangle) As Trail
#6. the Inventory Was Done To Identify the Routes the State
Considers To Be Valid RS 2477 Rights-Of-Way.
USGS Bulletins
1) USGS Bulletin #287, 1906, Shows A Road Ascending
Johnson Creek Out of Berners Bay To the Jualin Mine;
2) USGS Bulletin #284, Printed in 1905, Titled "Alaskan
Mineral Resources in 1905",
Contains the Article "Lode Mining in Southeastern
Alaska," Which References the Tramway in the Following Statement:
"The Ore Is Treated in A 10-Stamp Mill Equipped With Frue
Concentrators and Operated By Water Power. A Tramway 5 Miles in
Length Is Being Built From the Mine To A Point Opposite Deep
Water Near the Head of Berners Bay."
3) USGS Bulletin #287, "The Juneau Gold Belt, Alaska",
Printed in 1906, States: "The Johnson Creek Mines Are Less
Readily Accessible Than Those On the West Side of the Peninsula.
One of Them--The Johnson Prospect--Is Most Easily Reached Form
The Head of Sherman Creek, But the Others Have Been Made
Accessible By A Fairly Good Wagon Road About 3 Miles Long,
Leading From On of the Sloughs at the Head of Berners Bay To the
Jualin Mine and the Workings of the Indiana Company...Besides
This Route There Is A Direct Foot Trail From the Cove Where the
Steamers Stop To the Jualin Camp." the "Wagon Road", By Location
And Description, Was the Railed Tramway Route Leading From the
Sloughs of Berner's Bay To the Jualin Mine.
Other
1) "Chronology of Berners Bay Mineral Development" By E.
Neil Mackinnon Identifies the Following Pertinent Dates of Jualin
Mine Access Developments:
"1905 Operations at Jualin Resumed in May
And the Tramway Was Extended To Deep Water On Berners Bay."
According To Mackinnon, the Tramway Was Originally
Constructed at Or Around 1898, and Extended in 1905.
2) in the Decision of the District Court for the United
States: John M. McCrorie and John
Kiernan Vs. the Alaska Goldmining Company of Indiana,
Filed August 15, 1899, the Plaintiffs Were Awarded A Sum of
$5000.00 for Damages, Incurred To Their Property By the Defendant.
Included in the Decision Is Plaintiff Exhibit C, Titled "Plat of
Johnson Creek, Berners Bay", Which Shows the Historic Access
Route To the Jualin Mine Site.
Periodicals
1) Cultural Resource Investigation of the Jualin By
Charles Mobley, 1988, Mentions the Existence of A Post Office in
Operation at Jualin From 1902 -1909 and From 1912 To 1918. He
States That the Tramway Was Constructed in 1905, Which Is the
Date When Mackinnon Said the Tramway Was Extended Into the Deep
Water of Berner's Bay. Mobley Writes "In 1905, As Part of the
Development of the Jualin Mine, A Tramway Was Being Constructed
From Tidewater To the Mine Site in Johnson Creek...The Route of
The Proposed Road Overlies the Original Historic Tramway Route
From Station 24880 To Tidewater (Station 27000), and Again From
Station 4600 To Station 400." He Goes On To Establish the
Authenticity of the Route As Found On Maps of the Area: "These
Portions of the Tramway Were Scrutinized for Surface Features As
Part of the Survey for the Proposed Road Alignment, and Thus the
Test Pits Excavated at 61 Meter Intervals Fell in and Along
Portions of the Tramway Route."
2) Southeastern Alaska Mining Corporation's 1929 Report On
The Jualin Mine Mentions the Tramway As the Route of Access To
The Jualin Mine. "A Wharf Has Been Constructed at the Mouth of
Berners River, and Connects the Tunnel With Tide Water By A
Tramway Line 2 Miles Long, Which Makes Transportation Easy and
Economical."
Iii. Surface Estate Owners As Shown of Bureau of Land Management
And Alaska Division of Land Records, Are Listed As Follows:
1) Tongass National Forest/ United States Dept. of
Agriculture;
2) University of Alaska;
3) Mineral Survey 1496/ 994389, Located 4/24/19;
4) Mineral Survey 762/ Cert. 96, Located 5/26/06;
5) Mineral Survey 880/ Cert. 97, Located 6/26/06;
6) Mineral Survey 676/ Cert. 64, Located 7/24/03;
7) Mineral Survey 264/ Cert. 65, Located 7/15/1895;
8) Mineral Survey 578/ Cert. 28, Located 7/23--8/9, 1898.
Acceptance of Grant
IV. the Earliest Reservation Along the Subject Route Was for Ms
264, With A Location Date of July 15, 1895. Documentation in the
File Shows That Use Or Construction of the Route Occurred By 1905.
The Grant of the RS 2477 Right-Of-Way for the Trail Was Accepted
By Construction and Use, Subject To Valid, Existing Rights, When
The Land Was Not Reserved for Public Purposes.

Return to top